A quick review of the Poynter Institute has a good article that is worth a quick read where the different types of sites are categorized.
Now for this assignment:
- Find a site from the list at the CyberJournalist site mentioned above or find one on your own.
- Write a commentary about the news considerations of the site. You will want to recheck Chapter 7 in the textbook to see the themes that were covered that can serve as a potential hook or thesis for your commentary. You might want to check this article on writing a commentary or this one about op ed pieces. Look at what the authors suggest about content.
- Remember think outside this class as being the audience for this piece. Re-read my post on constructing better blog posts.
- Be specific and avoid generalities. If you make a point, support it from the article.
- Avoid excessive quoting of the article. The words you quote really don't count as part of word count requirement for this assignment.
- Have a catchy title.
- This review needs to be between 300 and 350 words.